Both Parents Matter
NEW Helpline number - 0333 050 6815
Monday - Friday 10am to 7pm excl Bank Holidays


Go back to home page

Parents' Rights to involvement in their child's schooling

Parents’ Rights to involvement in their child’s schooling
The parent is entitled -
1. To participate in decisions about their child’s education for example which subjects the child should study.
2. To be treated equally as any other parent by the school and Local Education Authority.
3. To receive information from the school e.g. copies of governors’ annual reports, pupil reports and attendance records.
4. To participate in certain school activities ( vote in elections for parent governors,
attend sports days and school performances)
5. To be asked for their consent for their child to take part in extra-curricular activities
Stopping a child taking part in extra-curriculum activites would nearly always be unwise
6. To be advised about meetings involving the child ( e.g. where a governors’ meeting is
being held to discuss the possibility of a child’s exclusion from school for bad behaviour)
7. To be included on an equal basis with the other parent in their children’s school records.
A non-resident parent may be asked for identification by the school. This is not unreasonable. Be prepared to take a copy of your child's birth certificate with you and some personal identification such as a passport or a driving license. 
The school has responsibilities to the parent. These are:-
1. To note the details of Court Orders on the pupil’s record.
2. Not to allow the name of the child to be changed without the consent of every other person with parental responsibility for the child
3. To ask the resident parent for the address details of the non-resident parent
4. To make the resident parent aware that the other parent is entitled to be involved in the child’s education. 
 5. To keep address records for all parents/guardians in the admission register and any written or computerised pupil records, and passing this information on to any new school that a child may attend.
6 To provide information to a parent directly if that parent requests such information
7. To seek parental consent in relation to extra-curricular activities.
8. To consider the welfare of the child to be paramount and try to resolve problems without becoming involved in conflict.
9. To involve parents in issues relating to their child’s education
10. To keep parents informed about school matters.
If a school refuses to grant you these rights you refer the Head teacher to the Guidance from the Welsh Government -'Parents & Parental Responsibility' 2007
If problems persist the chain of complaint is:-
1.Head teacher
2.Chair of Governors of the School
3.Education Director
LEA Local Education Authority
If you are in Wales
Minister for Education and Skills
Welsh Government, Cathays, Cardiff CF10 3NQ

 Finally,if your child is being educated in England
The Minister, Department for Education
Most of this information was taken from
The Custody Minefield
Parental Separation
Your Rights and the Law
Michael Robinson


Any queries? Click here to contact us


Help and support for separated families
Branch website system developed for Families Need Fathers Both Parents Matter Cymru by Ideas Into Reality